About Me

My photo
I am a full-time mom of three (ages 7, 5, and 3). I was diagnosed with type 1 (juvenile) diabetes at 19 during my sophomore year at college. I hope you check in on us to read about the craziness and adventures of living, loving, and mothering with diabetes.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Baby Fingers


I sometimes wonder how my diabetes affects my kids. They will only know a mom who has type 1 diabetes. They recognize the beeps and buzzing from my pump. It is often that all four of us are crowded into the bathroom during an insulin pump change. (It is hard to ask a 5, 3, and 1 year old to give me some privacy. Either they’re in there too, or pounding on the door to be let in.) They don’t even blink at the sight of a needle. “Does it hurt?” They often ask as I poke a new infusion site into my body. “Just for a minute,” I answer them truthfully.


They are wrapped up in this disease. They know it more intimately than anyone else because they are with me, watching me take care of not only their needs 24-7, but the needs of this disease.


The truth is, I probably take more blood sugar tests with a child on my hip than with out. At 11 months I watched in awe as Jake’s little bubbly finger went onto the end of my lancet device. He knew exactly how it worked before he was even a year old.



2 comments:

Bryn said...

That picture needs to circulate the diabetes community! I mean it!

Unknown said...

It's funny you mention this, because I recently had a moment where I freaked out about this. I am not a mother (yet) but I was babysitting for a friend's kid and just as I was holding the baby to my hip my pump started to vibrate and wondered if the baby felt it. It made me kind of sad to think that this is what my kids would be exposed to one day...