About Me

My photo
I am a full-time mom of three (ages 7, 5, and 3). I was diagnosed with type 1 (juvenile) diabetes at 19 during my sophomore year at college. I hope you check in on us to read about the craziness and adventures of living, loving, and mothering with diabetes.

Monday, July 27, 2009

All hooked up

I got my continuous glucose monitor (cgm) and new pump last week, so I'm officially all hooked up with the latest and greatest in diabetes management. For those of you who don't know, the cgm is essentially a sensor that continuously tracks my blood sugar levels. It is a separate sight from where my pump infuses insulin, so now I have two separate "sites" on my abdomen. (I now really wish I had appreciated my pre-diabetes belly- a tummy without any scar tissue, infusion sites, or sensors attached to it. Hind sight is 20/20.)

When my boxes from mini-med arrived with my new pump and cgm, the kids and Luke were all excited to open them. "Aren't you excited?" Luke asked me. I wish I were. But in all honesty I wish I didn't have to bother with any of it. I wish I didn't have to worry about what my blood sugars were doing every five minutes and how much insulin I need. I wish there was a cure. I wish I was like everyone else, with a blackberry, I-phone, or a pager attached to my hip rather than an insulin pump and cgm.

The good news, insurance paid for the cgm. 100% covered. This is huge considering a little over a year ago I was paying for it out of pocket. (Not a cheap investment!) And more good news, according to my cgm, my blood sugars have been awesome. The bad news, there is some inaccuracy with the technology, and sometimes the number my cgm gives is way off from where my blood sugar actually is. So, there's lots of frustration in the new technology and figuring out how to use it. But I'm trying. I'm giving it all a chance, and hopefully I end up liking it rather than wanting to throw it out the window...

1 comment:

Bryn said...

They've come so far, and so much has been so recent. I think you'll live to see and experience The Cure. My fingers are crossed for you every single day. And of course, you know how happy/sad I am for you with the cgm. :) Love you LauraLu!